Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Two weeks away!

I leave for Haiti in two weeks! It's crazy to me how in some ways time has flown by these past few months, but at the same time it's been over a year since I started actively pursing moving to teach in Haiti and an eleven year journey since I first decided I wanted to teach overseas someday. One thing is certain... God has taught me a lot over the past year and has continued to refine and shape my heart to serve Him wherever I am at. I have been reading through old journals these past few weeks as I have been packing up my apartment and it never ceases to amaze me at what God has taught me or how he has answered prayers.

This past month has been filled with so many emotions. August started with the loss of a beautiful 17 year old girl connected to many in my church community. While I didn't know her well (we did have a chance to serve together in Walthill last summer) I have wept alongside her friends often over the past month. She was a person who shined with the love and joy of Christ. I don't understand her death, but have been reminded so many times over the past month that "Inviting God into our grief means we will never walk alone." (to quote Henri Nouwen).


August has also been filled with lots of joy. Here are a few highlights:

It's been ten years since I spent my first summer at Big Sandy Camp. No matter where life has taken me over the past ten years Big Sandy still is the place where I feel most at home. The full time staff has changed, the summer staff are all kids I remember as junior campers, and some of the buildings look different, but none of that really matters. Camp is still a place that is about Jesus first and foremost. Their mission is still to touch hearts and change lives. It is still the place where I learned how to love until it hurts and then love some more.  I got to spend two days at Big Sandy in mid-august and it was a blessing. It seems like no matter where I walk around camp I am reminded of conversations I had with campers or other staffers and how God has continued to use those moments to shape the direction of my life. Working at Big Sandy has in so many ways prepared me for moving to Haiti. I could probably write a book about all the things I learned at camp over the 10 years of being involved at Big Sandy, but I'll spare you! :)













The reason I got to spend time at Big Sandy this summer is because Rachel got married!!! :) My first summer counseling at Big Sandy I had this crazy group of junior high girls who were all from the same church. (Cabin picture above) Those girls helped me to fall in love with junior high ministry and since that first summer I have been privileged to have my "Wadena girls" in my cabin like 8 more times counting winter camps. Three of the girls Kelsey, Rachel, and Noelle (pictured right) have since worked at Big Sandy themselves and over the past 10 years have become wonderful friends. We have all cried, laughed, and prayed together so many times over the past 10 years. It has been amazing to watch these girls grow more in love with Jesus each year and become amazing women! Rachel got married a few weeks ago and it was a privilege to be able to be at her wedding to Luke (who I've also known of for 10 years as he was a camper at Big Sandy). These girlies are my little soul sisters and I love them deeply.

August has also been filled with pool nights with the Proctors, lots of laying out times with Megan, Friday Night Lights marathons with Taylor, and coffee drinking with Piper. I've been so incredibly blessed by the friends God has brought into my life. I am sad to be leaving them for the next year, but so blessed knowing that each of them is praying for me and that we have friendships that can truly pick up right where they left off.

I have received about 85% of my support that I need for next year! I am truly BLOWN away by everyone's generosity! Thank you so much for your prayers and support! I treasure it so much more than I can express!  I know that this next year will be another year of growth, trial, tears, joy, sadness, hope, and love but I'm so thankful that I get to be on this journey with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment