| The boys home boys in their school uniforms! |
It’s finally back
to school time! Considering most of my friends back home started teaching
already in early August waiting until the first day of October has felt like
forever! J School started on Tuesday with flag
raising, prayer, and worship. I’m even starting to know a few of the creole
worship songs so I could sing along. But even when I don’t know all the words
the heart of worship in the staff and children is beautiful. I’ve been learning
about the power of Jesus’ name from my Haitian friends in a way I never really
have before.
| Kindergarten cuties! |
The first day of
school was such a typical first day! So much excitement, the smell of newly
sharpened pencils, backpacks everywhere, posters being hung on the walls,
learning the new routines, kids testing limits, etc. I get to spend time
everyday with the kindergartners and then an hour once a week with the other
grades. Wow are those kindergartners a handful, but I’m so glad I get to spend
everyday with my favorite age group! There are 9 students in the kindergarten
class and they range in age from 2-7. It’s such a difference in ages that it
makes teaching even more challenging. Their two Haitian teachers are amazing
though and each day that I come into their room to do English class I’m amazed
how how even the two littlest ones are following the routines (most of the
time!). I’m excited to see them all at the end of the year and see their
progress.
Education here is
not a right for everyone. As I was walking to school this morning my teacher
heart was so sad to encounter numerous kids not wearing uniforms, which shows
they got to school somewhere. Such a small percentage of kids here actually get
to go to school everyday and learn how to read, write, do math, etc. I just
feel like sometimes we don’t realize how good we have it in the US. Our school
is for the kids at the boys and girls home, our Haitian staffers children, and
some other local children. If you are interested in helping our community
students with the costs of school check out: http://childhope.org/our-work/education/
for more information.
It’s amazing to
me how quickly life here has become my new normal. So much of the time I don’t
even think about all the things that make life different than Nebraska but here’s
some real moments from the past few weeks:
-Katherine (my
roommate) and I were watching a movie in our room when all of sudden (seemly
out of no where) a HUGE spider was in the middle of our floor. It took us five
attempts at hitting it with a shoe before it actually died upon which it
shriveled up and didn’t look like it had been a giant monster 2 seconds before.
-I’ve been
learning how to hand wash my clothes. A couple of the little girls showed me
how to do it the Haitian way. I’ve tried and they laugh at me because they’re
so much better at it at age 6 than I am.
-I opened up my
backpack yesterday to put some stuff in it before I headed to school and found
a tiny little lizard sitting on one of my books staring at me. He was cute,
but I did let him back outside of our house.
Thank you so much
for the people who have written emails or facebook messages. I can’t even
explain how encouraging it is to get messages from people. I need and cherish
your prayers so much! Also if someone can figure out how to get me a pumpkin spiced latte I would love them forever! ;)
| My roommate Katherine, me, and a member of a team from VA. |
Is there at least an instant pkg of pumpkin spice latte that I can buy and send to Paula to bring to you? You should ask Shelly Clay at the Aparent Project...she can and would do it if it's possible! Thanks for keeping us all informed.♥
ReplyDelete