Many days living in Haiti seems overwhelming. Just like lots of things in life, there is no easy fix for the issues Haiti faces. There are many forces that are outside ordinary Haitians control that need to change. I wonder often about the futures my students will face. My dream for all of them is for them to grow to be people of integrity, people of strength, and people with dreams. Dreams that will change Haiti. The more time I spend in Haiti the more I am convinced that it will not be the NGO's and Americans that will make the biggest difference. It will be ordinary Haitians living a life of worship, living a life of honor, and living a life of unity with one another.

It will be because of kids like Yvenel, who is in my fourth grade class and lives at the boys home. Everyone who meets Yvenel is immediately drawn to him. He has a smile that will light up a room. He has a sweetness that makes you want to spend all your time with him. He is one of the best big brothers to his little sister Estaline (who lives in the girls home) that I have ever met. This boy loves Jesus deeply and often reminds me of my need for our Savior. He works hard to learn in school. He loves to play soccer and act out scenes from Despicable Me 2. He makes me laugh a lot. Whenever I walk into the boys home he immediately gets up to give me a hug. He tells me he prays for me everyday. In a nutshell... he's precious.
 |
| Photo thanks to DeAnna Gallarado |
On the days when I feel overwhelmed with Haiti's future I often think of Yvenel. I have no doubt that Yvenel was grow into man who helps change Haiti. Yvenel gives me a lot of hope for the future of Haiti! Please continue to pray for him (and all of my other students) to continue to seek after Jesus. Pray that he will continue to love and forgive others. Pray that he will not only have dreams for his future, but also be able to live them out! You can check out more about Yvenel on Child Hope's website:
Yvenel's story/sponsorship
No comments:
Post a Comment