Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Bondye Bon. Tout Tann.


Just like in the US, some weeks in Haiti are just hard. This was one of those weeks.

Beautiful Christina
We found out this week that one of my third grade students, Christina, is almost completely blind in her left eye. We knew already that she had something wrong with it, but in the past few weeks it has gotten worse. Eventually she will lose her eye all together. There is nothing we can do to stop it or treat it. It's hard. I've cried about it a few times this week. There are so many times when life just seems unfair. This was one of them. Another one was when I met a single mother this week who recently became homeless. She has two young children and has no where to go. People in our community have been generous with supplying some new clothes, getting them some food to eat, and finding a temporary place for her to sleep with her children off the street, but she needs to find a long term solution. Please be praying for her and her two adorable girls! Please pray for their safety and that the mom will be able to find a way to take care of her and her girls.



But as I was reminded at worship this week, "Bondye bon. Tout tann." (God is good. All the time.). Almost every worship service in Haiti begins with that reminder. And I have seen God's goodness in so many ways this week. I love my new house I get to live in. My roommates are so encouraging and it is a blessing to live life with them.
My roommates-- plus our friends Lelly, Heather, and Kelsey
Saturday night is always community worship night at our boys home. At one point in the service the worship team had our older boys come up to the front so that if anyone wanted prayer they could ask the boys. It was so beautiful and encouraging to see our older boys pray over our younger boys and girls. I cried big ugly tears of joy seeing the love they poured out on our little ones. Then on Sunday I was able to somewhat randomly meet four new people at church. Two of them are starting an organization here in Haiti and the other two were joining them in Haiti as they began to move past the dreaming stage into the reality stage of their ministry. My roommate Christa and I ended up spending most of Sunday with them (as well as a few other times this week) and it was such a blessing. They share similar hearts to us about ministry in Haiti and it was so encouraging to get to know them a little bit this week. It will never cease to amaze me how when people's focus is on Jesus, God can bond such a random and diverse group of people in such a short time. I feel like I've found a few lifelong friends in just the short time we were able to spend together. It was wonderful. To me it's what the church is supposed to be about-- bringing people together who seek to be the hands and feet of Jesus to a broken and hurting word.

God is good even when life is tough. I'm thankful that I get to join him in what he is doing in Haiti at this time. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support. There are have been so many times this week where I have been strengthened by your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment