-The power of the name of Jesus. I need Jesus to get through so many days.
-I've learned to appreciate beauty in the little things. Lots of things here (the walls, the roads, etc.) are the same shade, so the beauty of the vibrancy of color in the flowers after the rain, freshly painted walls, or the leaves changing red on a tree refresh my heart.
-In many ways I haven't really gotten to choose my friends here. The common bonds of Jesus, working for the same organization, or being American has created friendships with people that I certainly would have never known in the States. My friends here are so different than me and so different from my friends back home, but they are my family here. I've learned a lot from all of them. And to me it's been such a beautiful picture of what the church is supposed to be. People from every background, tongue, tribe, and nation working, living, praying, and loving together because of our common need for Jesus. It's beautiful.
-To have faith like a child. Everyday the children around me show me Jesus. They show me how to have faith even when life doesn't make sense. They encourage me. They pray for me. They love and serve each other.
-The powerful gift that giving trust is. In a place where few people have lots of things to give, giving your trust is all you have. I am humbled and honored now when people grant me trust. Trust to teach them, trust to let me come into their homes, trust to love me and let me love them.
- To not be disappointed when plans don't go as expected. Honestly plans never go as expected. Simple errands take all day, the drive that took 20 minutes last week takes 3 hours this time, the tire on the car goes flat with no one to fix it, you run out of propane in the middle of having people over for supper, the internet doesn't work, etc. But on the flipside I've learned a lot about valuing people of plans...to enjoy the unexpected extra time with small groups of people, to enjoy the simple things of going out to eat or going to a pool, to really take time to listen, etc.
- The power a smile has to turn around your day! I mean seriously. It's hard to stay frustrated, sad, grumpy, whatever with these faces.
- The ability to have your heart break, but not have your ability to love break. Brokenness exists everywhere but it's in my face often in Haiti. But Jesus has given me the ability to love and then love some more despite the hard days. I have this one life to live. I don't want to waste it hiding from the things that break my heart; from the things that break God's heart. I do; however, want to share the love of Jesus to those I meet. I have a long ways to go yet in being Jesus to those around me, but it's my prayer everyday that I will die to self and let the love of God overflow to all those I meet.

No comments:
Post a Comment