There are days when life in Haiti is completely overwhelming. It's not even because of no electricity, or the lack of a fan on a 130 degree day, or the fact that I have to take a bucket shower because you start to realize stuff isn't really that important.
It's the stories.
The injustice of life can be overwhelming. It's far more suffocating than the humidity. And if I let it I could drown in the injustice and suffering. But if I let it suffocate me I'd be unable to love those around me. I'd be unable to be Jesus to those I encounter.
So on good days I choose JOY.
Despite the hardships, despite the pain, despite the injustice.
Because I have a savior who is coming to make all things new.
Who is coming to make all the sad things untrue.
Who sends me glimpses each day of how he is moving and working
if I only open my eyes to see it.
Glimpses such as...
/Overheard Conversations/
I was sitting on our porch when one of our graduates who recently found Christ after struggling with addiction was talking to a friend on the road who asked him why is he is different now and he replies multiple times, "Avek Jezi, Avek Jezi" (with Jesus). He is living proof that God makes all things new.
/Family Time/
I got to spend this past Sunday with my good friend Lambert. We first met four years ago on my first trip to Haiti. He and his brother picked up my friend, Christina, and I and we got to spend the day with him and his family. We worshipped with our Haitian church family at his church, enjoyed a meal with his actual family, and spent the afternoon with him and other friends who have become my family. My heart was overflowing with joy Sunday.
/Out of the Mouths of Babes/
We have worship each Wednesday and Saturday with the community in the Bens and every Friday at school. Today I was sitting next to Naillou, who is three, as she shouted out her praises to Jesus. It was beautiful to watch her close her eyes, lift up her hands, and sing "Mwen adore w Jezi" (I worship you Jesus). Almost every day I get to see Psalm 8:2 lived out, "From the mouths of children and infants you have ordained praise."
/Seeing a Whisper of God's Power/
It's rainy season now which means we get to watch a lot of sweet storms come over the mountains in the afternoon and night. My friend Christina reminded me of Job 26:14 "indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him, but a thunder of His power who can understand." Some of the storms we've watched lately are filled with lightening and loud thunder and it's only a whisper of God's power. It's oddly comforting.
So today I choose JOY.
I choose to believe the promises of Scripture.
I choose to keep loving people and keep fighting injustice.
I choose to see the glimpses of life and restoration that God is showing me.


No comments:
Post a Comment