 |
| Two of my kindergartners working on counting |
Teaching
in Haiti has definitely been an adventure. There have been unexpected joys and
equally unexpected heartaches, but through it all my students have brought me
so much joy. Each day looks different, but my day always begins with teaching
Kindergarten. We start each day in Kindergarten talking about the weather and
then singing favorite preschool songs in English. Right now the children’s
favorite songs are Slippery Fish, Tiny Tim, and BINGO. After that we read a
story in English and then do an activity related to the story. We have been
working on animal names, letter sounds, counting, shapes, colors, and other
vocabulary learning activities in English.
 |
| Recess fun with some of the girls |
After that my classroom is open
during the older students’ recess time. Some days kids come in to talk, some
days to study somewhere quiet, and some days to do puzzles or other English
language games. After lunch I have class with my level 1 and 2 students
(students who knew little to no English when school started), all of whom are
students from the neighborhood. I have 1st/2nd grades on
Monday, 3rd grade on Tuesday, 4th grade on Wednesday, and
5th/6th grades on Thursday. We have been working on
having basic conversations in English. For example, all of those students can
answer questions such as “What is your name?”, “Who is in your family?”, “What
do you like to do?”, “When is your birthday?”, etc. Following that I have class
for my level 3, 4, and 5 students (most of whom are from the Boys and Girls
home). In those classes I have been working a lot more on reading and writing
skills as most of the students converse well in English. On Fridays I spend my morning at MDL’s
chapel/worship and then spend two hours after lunch teaching English to the
Haitian teachers at MDL.
 |
| My 5th and 6th Graders |
Teaching in Haiti has been different
than teaching in the States, but for the most part I’ve really discovered that
teaching is teaching this year. My students are more used to repeating and
memorizing than my students in the states, so I’ve had to incorporate more of
that into my lessons. I’ve also had to tweak my classroom rules and
expectations based on what is expected in classrooms here. The most challenging
aspect of teaching in Haiti for me has been the lack of supplies. My classroom
in the States is filled with learning materials, books, photos, etc. I’ve had
to design most lessons here using only a few supplies. I think the biggest
surprise for me was the fact that my students are based on grade level ability
not age. For example, in my fourth grade class I have students who range in age
from 8-18. It all just depends on when they were first able to go to school and
how quickly they have learned the grade level material needed to go to the next
grade. Especially at first it was difficult for me to figure out how to teach
an 8 year old and an 18 year old in the same class. My favorite moments have mostly
been the times after school when I get to hang out with my students, such as hanging
out in the Bens with the boys home boys, going to the girls’ home to play dolls
and read stories, or spending time with my neighborhood children at their
families at their homes.
 |
Luckson with his Flat Stanley for a project with a
school in the US. |
I would appreciate prayer for my transition back to the US. I’m going to miss my students and fellow teachers at MDL a lot. It is my hope, God willing, to come back to Haiti in the future to continue teaching and working with my student’s families. I’d appreciate prayers for my students as they continue to learn and grow. I pray that as they move forward with school, doors will be opened for them to pursue their passions and dreams. My biggest prayer for all of them is that will become avid seekers of Jesus in their daily lives and will show Jesus’ love to all those they encounter.
 |
| Celebrating Haitian Flag Day at school |
 |
| Third graders writing "All About Me" sentences. |
 |
| 5th and 6th Grade class |
 |
| Coloring pictures of the fruit from the story "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" |
 |
| Coloring the items in the song "The Wheels on the Bus". |
 |
| Writing stories in 4th Grade |
 |
| Silly kindergartners learning about flowers |
 |
| Doing puzzles during recess |
 |
| Counting African animals in English |
 |
| Two of my 2nd Graders |
 |
| Dave and Klulu |
 |
A bunch of my silly 4th and 5th grade boys
|
 |
| Shakira sorting her animals and feathers by color |
 |
| Wet chalk drawings |
 |
| More wet chalk painting in Kindergarten. |
 |
| Friday Chapel |
 |
| Friday worship |
 |
| The primary school teachers at MDL |
No comments:
Post a Comment